Caramelized Onion & Sausage Puffs
- 2 large yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon sunsalted butter
- 1 sheet puff pastry (thawed)
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water (whisked)
- 4 chicken apple sausage links (cooked, halved lengthwise)
- poppy seeds (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium with olive oil and butter. Once the butter melts add the sliced onions and season with salt. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Lay the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut into 8 rectangles the length of the sausage.
- Divide the caramelized onions between the 8 pieces of pastry dough. Lay a sausage link on top. Wrap the dough around the sausage to completely enclose. Gently press the dough to seal.
- Transfer the wrapped sausages to the prepared baking sheet and brush each with the egg wash and sprinkle with salt and poppy seeds. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
- Remove from oven and serve warm as a fun on the go breakfast.